Monday, April 28, 2008

Visiting The High



I'm not much on blogging about what I'm doing, but this was too good to pass up. Yesterday, I had a day out with my dear friend Maria. We lunched at Cheesecake Factory and then went moved on to the High Museum of Art In Atlanta. If you haven't been, you must! Louvre Atlanta is worth the ticket alone. One must stand in front of the huge sculpture of The Tiber (Rome 74-125 AD) to understand how awesome artists are to the world. 

But the whole reason for visiting the museum was the Georgia O'Keeffe and the Women of the Stieglitz Circle exhibit. While I went thinking that Georgia O'Keeffe's work would be all I wanted to see, I was struck by the photos of Anne Brigman. I'm still left to think of how she molded her body in the exposed roots of a huge tree. She becomes part of the tree, her long hair mingling with the fine roots. I found her work inspiring. You can watch her progression in life through her photos. 

O'Keeffe's work is overwhelming in person. To stand in the room with her paintings is surreal. There were old favorites and paintings I had never seen. One Painting, Morning Glory with Black, moved me deeply I thought I would begin to cry. Maria asked me why? At the time I didn't know. But now I do. I was moved to tears because she's gone and while her paintings are left with us for apperciation and inspirtation, there will never be anything new. 

I strongly suggest if you get a chance to visit the exhibit before it leaves Atlanta you would!

No comments: